Some of you might have noticed while setting the extender. It asks for the login username and password of TP-Link Extender. You have come across this question, don’t worry will help you with it.
Well if I talk about the default login username and password of the TP-Link extender. Then, it is admin for both Username and Password.
Why It asks for a Username and Password while login
It asks for a username and password while login in because of the authentification process. Initially, it has a default password but you have to change it or create a new one. So that you will ensure no one else will log in to the device and make any changes to it.
If you wanna make any changes to the settings of your extender such as changing your wifi network name and password. So that you can use the login password and make changes yourself. It keeps your privacy protected and does not allow others to make any changes to your extender settings.
Basically, everybody knows about the default password of the TP-Link extender. Once, you change it then only you will be able to access it. That is why, it is always recommended to change it after configuration.
How can change the login password?
I am assuming the TP-Link extender is all set up and after the configuration, we want to change the default password. If it is not set up, then follow the guide – How to set up a TP-Link extender?
Follow the steps below to chage the TP_Link extender default password:
- First of all, plug your extender into the power outlet and close to the computer.
- Now connect Ethernet cable between TP-Link extender and computer. So that it will make a connection between both.
- Open a web browser and type the web interface URL http://tplinkrepeater.net in the address bar. It will take you to the login screen.
- Enter the default username and password for the TP-Link extender.
Username – admin
Password – admin
- Now, navigate to the TP-Link admin settings and you will see an option to change the default login password for it.
- Enter the new password that you want to keep and click on the SAVE button. It will take some time to apply changes to it.
In case, you don’t have an ethernet cable. You can also login to the extender by using the IP address of the extender. But you need to find the IP address of TP-Link extender by login to the router. You can login to the router and go to the attached or connected device list. Here, you will see an IP address of your extender. Use that IP address, type it in the browser and it will take you to the login screen.
Forgot the login password of TP-Link extender
Sometimes, we do not recall what is the login password of the TP-Link extender and you want to make changes to the extender. But you can do that because you don’t know the password. If this is the case, then the only way to recover the password is to reset your extender to the factory settings.
To reset TP-Link extender you can follow the steps below:
- Locate the reset hole on the extender.
- Use a paperclip and insert it in a reset hole.
- You need to hold the paperclip for about 10 – 20 seconds.
- It will take some time to reboot once you take out the paper clip. Then, it will be back to its factory default settings.
In case, you are not able to reset your extender, you can follow the Complete Guide to Reset TP-Link Extender.
Note: As we have reset your extender then the default password will also get changed. It is because after resetting the device. It goes back to its default settings that’s why login password will be changed to default which is admin. Now, if you want to login to the extender then you need to use admin.
This is all about changing the default password on the extender. If you have any queries and any other issues related to the TP-Link extender and router. You feel free to ask in the Ask Questions section.